The 2019 Annual TBLC Meeting is taking place from March 14 through March 16, 2019. Thursday, March 14 is a pre-conference workshop day, and we would like to highlight some of the sessions for you. We look forward to seeing you in Tampa!
Fundamental Principles and Practices of TBL*
This workshop will be an introduction to Team-Based Learning™ (TBL) conducted in the TBL format. Participants will be given a preparatory assignment, divided into teams, given individual and team readiness assurance tests with immediate feedback, and achieve consensus with their team on a set of increasingly challenging application-based questions.
The goal of this workshop is for participants to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the fundamental components, sequence of events, and benefits of TBL.
- Describe the essential principles and components of Team-Based Learning (TBL).
- Explain how and why TBL works.
- Discuss the benefits of using TBL.
- Illustrate how to transform a small group into a productive learning team.
Creating an Effective TBL Module*
- Explain the sequence of steps used for designing a TBL module.
- Describe characteristics of effective readiness assurance test questions and application exercise questions.
- Construct application exercises that adhere to the ‘4 S’ framework and engage teams in higher-level thinking.
- Use backward design to align application exercises with the readiness assurance test and module learning objectives.
Effective Mentoring for Educators
- Compare and contrast 3 definitions of mentoring in relation to process and outcomes.
- Choose an appropriate mentor or mentee.
- Describe the characteristics of a functional mentor-mentee relationship.
- Assess tangible outcomes of mentoring and evaluate whether the mentor-mentee relationship is accomplishing its purposes.