William Ofstad, PharmD, APh, CDE
Chair, Department of Pharmacy Practice
West Coast University
Dr. Ofstad serves as Chair for the Department of Pharmacy Practice at West Coast University, focused on faculty development and mentorship in active learning. Dr. Ofstad also serves the TBLC as Chair of the Educational Development Committee, member of the Steering Committee, and mentor for the Trainer-Consultant Certification. His primary research focus is in teaching and learning including team-based learning, team building, simulation, and interprofessional education. His past experience includes directing the Office of Teaching and Learning, launching a Center for Team-Based Learning, serving as President of the Northern California College of Clinical Pharmacy, and providing direct patient care as a clinical pharmacist.
Select Presentations & Publications:
- Improving Facilitation Skills for a TBL Classroom.
- Methods to Foster Individual Engagement, Intrinsic Motivation, and Accountability to Enhance TBL.
- Exploring Team Contracts to Build Better Teams, Optimizing Team Building in TBL: Days 1 through 100
- A Comparison between a Simulation-Based and Traditional Direct Patient Care Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences
- Development of a Team Contact for Team-Based Learning
- The Impact of Grading Readiness in Team-Based Learning
- Preparing Collaborative Ready Healthcare Graduates: California Interprofessional Education Research Academy (CA-IPERA) Model.
- Keys to Successful Interprofessional Collaboration.
- Teaching and Learning Strategies for Interprofessional Education.
- Team-Based Learning in Pharmacy Education
- Team-based Learning: Windfalls and Pitfalls
- Integrating Team-Based Learning and High-Fidelity Simulation for Interprofessional Education
- Optimizing Student Engagement with Novel TBL Techniques that Get Students Moving
- Incorporation of high fidelity simulation learning experiences within a didactic and experiential curriculum
- A field guide for transforming your *yawn* clinical lectures into a lively team-based learning (TBL) classroom
- Leadership and Quality
- Continuous Formative Assessment of Team-Based Learning: RATs, BATs, and CATs
- Comparing a Simulation Based Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience (IPPE) to Traditional Direct Patient Care IPPEs
- Pathways to Expand the Effectiveness of Teaching and Learning: A workshop for educators to engage active learning strategies and explore team-based learning (TBL)
- Introduction to TBL Workshop
- Team-Based Learning Primer Workshop
- Faculty Orientation to Team-Based Learning
- New Student Orientation to Team-Based Learning