Parto S. Khansari, Ph.D.
Professor and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
School of Pharmacy
West Coast University
Los Angeles, CA
Degrees and Certifications:
- Ph.D. Degree: Pharmaceutical & Chemical Sciences (Pharmacology) from University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA
- M.S. Degree: Biomedical Laboratory Science from San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
- B.S. Degree: Cellular and Moleculary Biology from CA State University of Northridge, Northridge, CA
- Certified TBL Trainer-Consultant, TBLC
- System Approach to Assessment in Health Professional Education, Harvard Macy Institute, Boston, MA
- Transforming your Teaching using Technology, Harvard Macy Institute, Boston, MA
Dr. Khansari is a Professor and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs at Westcoast University School of Pharmacy. Prior to Joining Westcoast University, Dr. Khansari served as the Associate Dean of Teaching and Learning and Assessment at Stony Brook University School of Pharmacy and before that she served as the Department Chair of Pharmaceutical Sciences at California Northstate University College of Pharmacy with responsibility for faculty development, and a focus on assessment and curriculum design utilizing team-based-learning (TBL) methodology.
As a Certified TBL Trainer Consultant, she has led several national and international workshops and mentored other educators to become certified trainers. She has over 1000 hours of experience teaching pharmacology and pathophysiology utilizing TBL instructional method.
In addition to scholarship in teaching and learning, Dr. Khansari has over 12 years of leadership and technical expertise in designing, developing and executing in vivo efficacy and IND enabling preclinical studies.
Selected Publications in TBL Scholarship:
- John K. Cusick, Leo Fitzpatrick, Parto Khansari. Use of engaging review application exercises to enhance understanding of critical concepts prior to summative examinations. Journal of Pharmacy Education Vol 19, 2019.
- Ruth Vinall, Parto Khansari, Jason McDowell, L. Douglas Ried, Eugene Kreys. Impact of Completion of a Pre-Pharmacy Biochemistry Course and Competency Levels in Pre-Pharmacy Courses on Pharmacy Student Performance. Pharmacy 2019, 7(3), 117. doi.org/10.3390/pharmacy7030117
- Dana P. Hammer, Leigh Ann Bynum, Jean Carter, Nicholas E. Hagemeier, Daniel R. Kennedy, Parto Khansari, Pamela Stamm, and Brian Crabtree (2019) Revisiting Faculty Citizenship. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2019; 83 (4) Article 7378.
- Parto S. Khansari, Leanne Coyne. An innovative addition to team-based-learning pedagogy to enhance teaching and learning: Students’ perceptions of team. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2018;10: 90-95.
- Jason A. McDowell, Jr., Martha W. Pauli, John Le, Kyle K. Bakkie, Justin D. Nguyen, Diem-Chi N. Tran, Parto Khansari, Suzanne Clark, Hieu T. Tran. CNUCOP Student Leadership: Empowering Students for Peer Leadership. AJPE: Volume 81, Issue 5, Article S6.
- Khansari P and Coyne L. An Innovative Approach to Enhance Learning & Teaching by Incorporating Team-Exams into Team-Based-Learning. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2014; 78 (5) Article 111.
- Coyne L, Khansari P, McClendon K, Ho T, Pearson D. Assessing and Documenting Student Learning American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2014; 78 (5) Article 111.
Recent Invited Presentations & Workshops
- Parto Khansari, Tom Jansen, “Evaluating MCQs for RATs and Application Activities, TBLC Fundamentals Workshop. Online, January, 2023.
- Parto Khansari, Faculty Development workshop, Implement Facilitation Techniques to Promote Team Effectiveness and Motivation. Roseman University of Health Sciences School of Pharmacy, NV, Nov 1, 2019.
- Parto Khansari, Ruth Vinall, Effective Facilitation. Team Based Learning Collaborative Tampa FL, March 15, 2019.
- Parto Khansari, Will Ofstad, Leanne Coyne, Reframing Assessment to Focus on Learner Growth. Team Based Learning Collaborative Conference. Tampa FL, March 16, 2019.
- Parto Khansari, Paul Koles, Faculty Development Workshop. Stony Brook University School of Medicine, Stony Brook. March 2, 2019
- Parto Khansari, Team Based Learning Faculty Development Workshop. ST. JOHN’s University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Queens, NY. Feb 26, 2019
- Parto Khansari, Wayne McCormack. 3-day Faculty Development Workshop. International Medical Center. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Feb 21-23, 2018.
- Parto Khansari, Will Ofstad. 2-day Faculty Development Workshop. Stony Brook University School of Pharmacy. Stony Brook, NY, Nov 15-16, 2017.
- Suzanne Clark, Parto S. Khansari, Paul W. Jungnickel, David F. Maize, Adaptation of Supplemental Instruction (SI), a pre-remediation, peer-led academic assistance program, to PharmD Programs. Special Session, AACP Annual Meeting Nashville, TN. 2017
- Parto S. Khansari, Suzanne Clark, Karen Hassell, Enhancing Student Learning through Effective Feedback. Pharmacy Education Symposium, Monash University, Prato Italy July 9-12, 2017.
- Suzanne Clark, Eman Atef, Rania Elkeeb, Parto Khansari, Adapting Supplemental Instruction (SI) Methods to a Doctor of Pharmacy Program with a Curriculum-wide Team-Based Learning (TBL) Pedagogy, 43rd Annual Association of Colleges for Tutoring and Learning Assistance (ACTLA). Sacramento, CA, April 2017
- Lorna Finnegan, Parto Khansari, and Simon Tweddell, TBL 101, Team-Based-Learning Collaborative Conference Workshop, Orlando FL, March 2017.
- Khansari PS, Coyne L, TBL 101 and Creating an Effective TBL Module, Team-Based-Learning Collaborative Regional Workshop, San Francisco, CA December 9, 2016.