TBLC Featured Resource
Strategic Management, Strategic Planning, and Strategic Analysis
Authors: Annetta Dolowitz
Affiliations: University of Alabama at Birmingham
Resources available with this module: Readings, application exercise, RAT
Context: Nonprofit Organizational Management
This module will cover various readings and videos related to Strategic Planning and Strategic Management. You will explore in detail how leadership and strategic management and planning will make or break any business. We will explore how critical strategic planning and management are to nonprofits. You will see that there are challenges to creating a plan, especially depending on the size and the age of the nonprofit. You and your team will be creating a SWOT analysis for the Class NPO as well as for your Service Learning partners. Be sure to look for tips and best practices other NPOs offer. Clear understanding of conducting a strategic analysis will improve the quality of your midterm project proposals as well as your third reflection paper and final presentation centered around your Service Learning project.Required Reading
- Demonstrate and apply experience and skills that you have read or heard in class activities, and in your service learning projects, while adding skills to your resume.
- Identify the theoretical and conceptual foundations of a nonprofit.
- Assess and explain how strategic management competencies are applied to nonprofit organizations by running a SWOT analysis.
- Take the results of your SWOT analysis to evaluate Class NPO Partner to develop and defend strategies to address your findings for the Class NPO Partner Project.
- Critique the role of accountability, ethics, and social responsibility in the management of a nonprofit organization.
- Evaluate, explain, and defend the results of your project for your partner NPO.
- Demonstrate professional development.