Dr. Ofstad serves as the Assistant Dean for Education at California Health Sciences University, focused on faculty development and mentorship in team-based learning in California’s Central Valley. Dr. Ofstad also serves the TBLC as a national instructor and mentor for Consultant-Trainer Program. His primary research focus is in teaching and learning including team-based learning, team building, simulation, and interprofessional education. He also practices as a clinical pharmacist at UC Davis Medical Center providing direct patient care for diabetes and anticoagulation and mentoring residents and students in primary care settings. His past experience includes directing the Center for Team-Based Learning and serving as President of the Northern California College of Clinical Pharmacy. He currently serves as Faculty Advisor the Student National Pharmaceutical Association.
Select Presentations & Publications:
- Improving Facilitation Skills for a TBL Classroom.
- Methods to Foster Individual Engagement, Intrinsic Motivation, and Accountability to Enhance TBL.
- Exploring Team Contracts to Build Better Teams, Optimizing Team Building in TBL: Days 1 through 100
- A Comparison between a Simulation-Based and Traditional Direct Patient Care Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences
- Development of a Team Contact for Team-Based Learning
- The Impact of Grading Readiness in Team-Based Learning
- Preparing Collaborative Ready Healthcare Graduates: California Interprofessional Education Research Academy (CA-IPERA) Model.
- Keys to Successful Interprofessional Collaboration.
- Teaching and Learning Strategies for Interprofessional Education.
- Team-Based Learning in Pharmacy Education
- Team-based Learning: Windfalls and Pitfalls
- Integrating Team-Based Learning and High-Fidelity Simulation for Interprofessional Education
- Optimizing Student Engagement with Novel TBL Techniques that Get Students Moving
- Incorporation of high fidelity simulation learning experiences within a didactic and experiential curriculum
- A field guide for transforming your *yawn* clinical lectures into a lively team-based learning (TBL) classroom
- Leadership and Quality
- Continuous Formative Assessment of Team-Based Learning: RATs, BATs, and CATs
- Comparing a Simulation Based Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience (IPPE) to Traditional Direct Patient Care IPPEs
- Pathways to Expand the Effectiveness of Teaching and Learning: A workshop for educators to engage active learning strategies and explore team-based learning (TBL)
- Introduction to TBL Workshop
- Team-Based Learning Primer Workshop
- Faculty Orientation to Team-Based Learning
- New Student Orientation to Team-Based Learning