Discipline: Academic Development, Education, Language Studies (German)
About Me: I am the Academic Lead: Distance and Online Learning at Anglia Ruskin University’s (ARU) central learning and teaching unit (Anglia Learning and Teaching). Since 2015, we introduced TBL across ARU after being introduced to TBL by Professor Larry Michaelsen and Dr Simon Tweddell. Since then I have led on TBL training and supporting staff across the institution. We evaluated the effectiveness and impact of TBL in the initial two years and were part of an Office for Students funded project with Nottingham Trent University and University of Bradford looking at active learning and student success with specific focus on attainment gaps.
I have worked at ARU since 1993 initially as lecturer in German studies and since 2001 in the central learning and teaching unit. Before ARU, I taught German language and culture in Ireland, Germany and the USA. I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and an ARU University Teaching Fellow.
Interest in TBL: My main experience in TBL is as staff developer and evaluator. I have taught on the PGCert Learning and Teaching in Higher Education and introduced TBL to new staff as part of it. I have recently introduced TBL in a postgraduate education module and evaluated it. Together with ETBLC colleagues, we have delivered TBL Masterclasses at different universities in the UK and Europe to promote the use of TBL. As follow-up to the OfS project, I am interested in evaluating variance of TBL and in particular application exercises across different disciplines.
Publications on TBL:
- Richter, U. and Berkson, R. (2018) Increasing Student Engagement in their learning through scaling up active collaborative learning. 12th International Technology, Education and Development Conference, IATED Publications. Available at: https://library.iated.org/view/RICHTER2018INC
- Pratt-Adams, S., Richter, U. and Mark Warnes, M., (eds) (2019 forthcoming) Innovations in Active Learning in Higher Education. UCL Press.
Presentations on TBL:
- Richter, U. and Berkson, R. (2018) Barriers to scaling up Team-Based Learning. Workshop at Anglia Ruskin University Learning and Teaching Conference, 26/06/2018
- Berkson, R., McCarter, R., Tweddell, S., and Richter, U. (2018) Barriers to scaling up Team-Based Learning. Workshop at Active Learning Conference, University of Sussex, 05/06/2018.
- Jones, G. and Richter, U. (2018) From Flipped Classroom to Team-Based Learning (TBL): Introduction to Team-based Learning. TBL Masterclass at Active Learning Conference, University of Sussex, 04/06/2018.
- Borg, M., Churchill, T. and Richter, U. (2018) Evaluation: challenges and opportunities. OfS Addressing Barriers to Student Success Programme – Annual Conference, 24/05/2018
- Richter, U. and Berkson, R. (2018) Team-based learning at Anglia Ruskin University. Increasing Student Engagement In Their Learning Through Scaling Up Active Collaborative Learning. Advance HE: Attainment Symposium – Closing the gap: success for all, 23/05/2018.
- Richter, U. and Berkson, R. (2018) Increasing Student Engagement In Their Learning Through Scaling Up Active Collaborative Learning. Presentation at 12th International Technology, Education and Development Conference. 05-07/03/2018
- Richter, U. (2017) Active Learning through TBL. From Flipped Classroom to Team-Based Learning. Presentation at Anglia Ruskin University Learning and Teaching Conference, 06/2017